Friday 20 November 2009

Count on the Co-operative

After leaving the Law Courts on Tuesday I ambled slowly up the hill towards Grey Street. I felt a level of relief that I hadn't felt in quite some time, but I still had a niggle of anxiousness. Why? Because now I didn't have a bank account and I needed one.

I shouldn't have worried. I'd previously researched what banks were likely to accept me and I had a list of three - Barclays, The Co-operative and (according to the bankruptcy clerk) the Post Office. Well, I had gone bankrupt owing Barclays money, so I didn't see the point of trying there! So, the Co-operative it was, and handily it was on Grey Street.

As I sat down in front of the bank clerk I said that I wanted to open an account, but that it might be an issue because as of twenty minutes before I was an undischarged bankrupt. Without batting an eyelid she told me that was no problem and that she had opened accounts for plenty of people in my position. Phew! What a relief!

She went though the application on the computer, and - even though a credit check was part of the application (brief anxiety once more) - it was accepted. She told me I would get the paperwork within five working days. Excellent! The account is a Cashminder account, it doesn't offer any overdraft or credit facilities - but that is just what I need. A heart-felt thank you Co-operative Bank.

As I left the bank I could finally appreciate the day!